If you’re wondering how to build a beauty salon with next to no money or how to get started selling cosmetics from home, this quick guide will help you. In the following three sections, we’ll teach you how to set up a mobile beauty business using simple, homemade products.
Why Start Your Own Beauty Business
There are plenty of independent, homegrown beauty businesses thriving right now due to their focus on clean beauty, transparency and direct-to-consumer sales. Their success is no coincidence as their strategy is plucked from a whole host of stats to show just how lucrative this new kind of beauty business can be.
Luckily, we’ve done much of this research for you.
Key Beauty Business Stats
- In 2017, the UK saw a cosmetic boom allowing this sector to reach new heights. At this point, the market value stood at a colossal 9.8 billion British pounds. Since then, the valuation has dropped. Yet, the beauty industry, as a whole, still presents a great opportunity for aspiring entrepreneurs and established business owners alike. In particular, skincare holds a high share of the market.
- When it comes to skincare, non-medicated face care trumps the category with a market value of over £900,000. However, demand for body creams, lotions, hand care and lip salves are also high.
- Within this category, organic skincare is especially strong. According to Statista, natural and organic cosmetics are increasingly popular due to:
“[A] growing awareness of the potential harmful side-effects of the artificial ingredients used in beauty products. This has led many consumers to turn to so-called green cosmetics, in order to find products which pose a lesser risk to the skin, as well as to the environment. As a result, the global market for natural cosmetics has seen consistent growth over the last ten years.”
- The same report on natural and organic cosmetics shows that since 2016, 46% of online beauty shoppers in the UK buy organic products. The same report shows the most important product claim on beauty products being “cruelty-free.”
- According to a report by the Soil Association, the certified organic beauty sector, saw a +23% growth, year on year growth in 2019 –– the third-highest percentage growth since 2010.
There’s never been a better time to start a beauty business with a special emphasis on organic, natural products.
How to Start Your Own Beauty Business
There are a lot of steps to take when setting up any business. Yet, setting up a beauty business is relatively easy so long as you have a framework to guide you.
We’ve developed seven steps to help you get your venture off the ground.
Here’s how to start your own beauty business:
- Decide which products to sell.
- Differentiate your brand.
- Create a pricing strategy.
- Familiarise yourself with the law.
- Line up suppliers.
- Choose a sales platform.
- Develop a winning marketing campaign.